We made a big splash at CES 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada, showcasing our Asimov self-driving car system. Here’s a quick recap of the week’s events:
Rain or shine, we offered demos throughout the week to consumers, press, and industry partners on the streets of Vegas.
AutoWeek: Here’s how the latest autonomous driving systems handle real-world scenarios
We released this video of our car autonomously handling a wrong-way driver while pedestrians were in the road and another car overlapped the lane.
Sensors Mag: Torc Car Thumbs Nose at Wrong-Way Drivers
CEO Michael Fleming was a panelist on the Robotics Trends discussion about “The Roadmap for Self-driving Cars” as part of its Artificial Intelligence conference.
Alley Watch — CES 2018 recap: out of the dark ages
We announced our partnership with AAA to develop safety criteria for self-driving cars.
We were featured in these two stories:
- Jalopnik: How this tiny Virginia company is running circles around the self-driving car industry
- CNET: Torc car drives itself as well as any human at CES 2018
Here’s what people were saying about us:
- Engadget: “Torc Robotics, meanwhile, is one of the early pioneers of self-driving, having placed third in DARPA’S 2007 Urban Challenge — back when self-driving cars were a bit more bulky.”
- TechCrunch: “Its latest partner in that effort is Torc Robotics, a self-driving technology company with loads of experience in automating heavy machinery and commercial equipment that’s now applying its expertise to the consumer market.”
- AutoWeek: “To see just how much progress autonomous driving systems have made, have a look at Torc Robotics’ Asimov Level 4 self-driving system…it’s among the closest to being worthy of the once-shunned ‘self-driving’ label in development today.”
What’s next? We look forward to another exciting year ahead and CES 2019.
- NBC News: Gov. Sandoval sees Nevada playing a key role in the future of self-driving cars
- Tech Crunch: AAA will test Torc’s self-driving cars to build out safety criteria
- The Drive: AAA and Torc Robotics will develop self-driving car safety criteria
- Engadget: AAA is testing self-driving cars to see how safe they are
Demos and interviews
- CNET: The road to autonomy now has a carpool lane: CES 2018 wrap-up
- Las Vegas Review Journal: CES rides into town with self-driving demonstration
- AutoWeek: Here’s how the latest autonomous driving systems handle real-world scenarios
- Barron’s: The long road ahead for self-driving vehicles
- WDBJ7: Blacksburg’s Torc Robotics showcasing autonomous car at CES in Las Vegas
- Digital Trends: Every company showing a self-driving car at CES 2018
- Robotics Tomorrow: Torc Robotics offers self driving car rides in Las Vegas
- Barron’s: No fear, loathing in Vegas in driverless car
- Hybrid Cars: Torc Robotics offering random CES attendees Autonomous rides on the Las Vegas Strip
- PressKS: Torc Robotics self-driving car rides the streets of Las Vegas during CES
- CarANDbike: Torc Robotics rides in with self-driving car
- The Verge: Here’s all the far-out futuristic transportation stuff we’re excited to see at CES
- Entrepreneur Check Out the Coolest Cars and Concept Vehicles at CES 2018